Tip

Dear Blog readers,
To understand the title and name of this Blog, please read the featured post in the sidebar first.
To follow the stories in good order, read from down to up. And by clicking on a picture you can enlarge it.
If you like my Blog, please pass it on to friends and family!

15/03/2015

Silverton & The Living Desert Sculptures

G'day Mates,

We just came back out of paradise! But that's for later!

Now it's Silverton. Silverton is famous because it's the decor to many films of which the most awkward one; Mad Max. But also Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Razorback and parts of The Flying Doctors were shot on the famous Mundi Mundi Plains, 5 k's west of Silverton.

Though Silverton is a museum itself, it also bears a lot of museums and art galleries, most of them are free or a golden coin donation. In the Silverton Hotel you can see a lot of pictures made during the make of the films and of course most of them are from Mad Max, there are even some cars and other stuff used in that film still there.







Silverton today is inhabited by a permanent population of only about 50 people, but its history and location make it a relatively popular tourist destination. Several artists live in or around the town, including Peter Browne, Albert Woodroffe and John Dynon, with some maintaining their own galleries. 








Also here it was most probably not the right time to come as this museum was closed....



When we lived in Australia I got a Mickey Mouse for my first birthday. He became my dearest pal, mate, buddy for 54 years now and when he was dirty from hugging and my mommy put him in the washing machine, I cried my eyes out because I thought he would drown and later when he hang by his ears to dry, I cried again because that would hurt, how could my mother be so cruel..... haha     


The sad thing is, when we emigrated we thought we would sell our house quickly, so I put my Mickey in a box and in the container which is now nearly 7 years ready to be shipped to Australia as our house is still not sold!! 

Mickey in a box, who is the cruel one here now hey??


I miss him heaps so this little museum made my day!!


A bit more art work.....

This is in line with the significant number of artists working out of nearby Broken Hill, as the surrounding landscape and lighting is particularly amenable to the creation of art.




After Silverton we visited The Living Desert, Flora and Fauna Sanctuary and Sculptures....


A successful sculpture symposium was held on this majestic hilltop (within the centre of the reserve) in 1993 by artists from around the world, under the direction of organiser and artist Lawrence Beck. 12 sandstone sculptures highlight the skyline, all with a story to tell. 

This is an example of the sculpture park....


please watch the Movie for all the sculptures it's worth it....!








The Sculpture Site can be accessed via a 1 km walking trail starting from the Flora and Fauna Sanctuary car park but you can also go by car, luckily because it was pretty hot and the sculptures are on top of the hill...... 


But after we visited the sculptures I decided to walk down to the car park and picnic area to meet Fred there and have lunch.......


and I'm glad I did because down hill was an easy walk and it was worth it....





I hope you enjoyed this again, we now are already in the West and travelling remote areas with no reception so that's why you don't see/hear from me very often.

But now we have to find a spot with good internet as I have to catch up a bit. Our daughter is coming to Perth in about 1 1/2 week time and then I won't have time at all!!

See ya soon (I hope),
Cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment