Tip

Dear Blog readers,
To understand the title and name of this Blog, please read the featured post in the sidebar first.
To follow the stories in good order, read from down to up. And by clicking on a picture you can enlarge it.
If you like my Blog, please pass it on to friends and family!

16/07/2013

Real Australia; Grass Hut Station

G'day mates, I'm back with an improvement;
 I noticed that people with an I-pad couldn't see my films so now I fixed that!
Have Fun!


From Charters Towers we went to a station outside Mingela; the Grass Hut station. They actually only had place for two caravans but because I had called before, they put us next to the lawn of a little granny flat where the mother of Barry (the owner of the station) lived.
I really looked forward for staying on a station especially this one because they have a lot of horses and overall I must admit; it was great.








Unfortunately we had a bit of a problem that actually was caused by culture-differences.
Barry asked us on Saturday, the day we arrived, if we would like to join them with dinner and the other guests said yes immediately so we also said yes.

In Holland, when someone invites you, they pay for you and of course we are already 4 1/2 years here and we know that things are different here, but we also know that Australians always make you very clear beforehand what the costs are of things or services etc.  


Anyhow we assumed we had to pay for the dinner but that couldn't be too much.
It was dinner time and the family dished up their plates and so did the rest, we were the last ones and there was hardly meat left, we shared two tiny pieces and didn't dare to ask if there was any more because we still didn't know if we had to pay for it. The vegetables and potatoes were nice and also the desert.



They have beautiful cows and the surrounding is great too, a real Australian Station!


Often they train for camp drafting with their horses......






Next day was a very nice day, we looked at the horses and Barry and Liz did a camp-draft with a bunch of Bison’s and they practiced with the horses which was lovely to look at. 








We left on Monday and when I paid them for the stay I found out that I had to pay $ 20,- p.p for the dinner! On the phone they told me that the cost of the site was $ 23,- but I had to pay $ 25,- and that for half using the power as on Saturday night it was very cold so we put our heater on, suddenly everything went out, we didn't had power anymore.
One of the neighbor caravanners went to Barry to fix it and when he came back, we were told not to put the heater on anymore. In the mean time it became less than 5 degrees so the only thing we could do is going to bed with the electric blanket on. We, in bed at half past 9! I think some people will laugh their heads of when they read this.

The amenities weren't that good either. One unit for women: toilet, shower and basin in one, and same unit for men.
I know most caravanners have their own toilet and shower but not us and there was also a family in a tent ( mam, dad en 6 children). For my own sake I cleaned the unit myself on Sunday.

Anyhow, I don't want to speak badly about this station because the people were very nice and the entertainment was fantastic, lets not forget that! Maybe it all was an incident and as I already said, a culture difference what the dinner concerns.


Cheers!




























2 comments:

  1. Dag T en F
    Lijkt me leuk zo met al die paarden en buffels.Leven ze van het fokken en verkopen van buffels?
    Waar zitten jullie zo ongeveer?Het lijkt een tamelijk vlak stuk ,meer prairie dan bossen.Is het de bedoeling om naar het noorden te gaan of heel Austr.rond te reizen?
    Wel koud 5 gr. s nachts.Momenteel hier heel mooi zomer weer.
    Nog niet gevaren.Niet leuk alleen.Wacht tot jullie komen.
    Fijne reis en tot de volgende keer.
    Groeten Wicher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Wicher, nee ze fokken paarden en koeien maar trainen die paarden ook voor de camp-drafting; het scheiden van uitgekozen dieren uit een groep. Jammer dat je nog niet gevaren hebt, nou wij zijn volgend jaar van de partij hoor! We weten nog niet waar we heen reizen haha.
      Groetjes

      Delete